And a new cocktail it was. A Dark 'n' Stormy. I've never had one before, but I love ginger beer and I am trying to grow pallet for booze, so I figured...why not? Plus, its crazy simple to make, so I figured I couldn't screw it up.
- It originated in Bermuda and is their National drink
- The Gosling brothers made their "old rum" specifically for this drink
- This is one (if not the only) trademarked cocktails out there
- According to the Booze Whisperer this cocktail was made for a young sailor and the bartender actually forgot to add the rum to the ginger beer. Upon pouring the rum on top of the ginger beer it resembled a storm...hence the name
- Check out this Huffington Post blog for more...because I really don't want to write all that out.
Dark 'n' Stormy
Serves 1 in a high ball glass (which I did not have)
2 ounces of dark rum (such as Gosling's Black Seal by trademark)
8 ounces of ginger beer
Juice from 1/4 of a lime
Simply fill your glass with 4-5 ice cubes, squeeze 1/4 of a lime over the ice, add 2 ounces of rum, then top with 8 ounces of ginger beer. To be authentic use Gosling's Black Seal Rum and Barritts Ginger Beer. Neither of which I could find. Both my ingredients happen to be from Jamaica - not Bermuda. Shameful I guess, but it was still good.
Cheers to (hopefully) warmer weather ahead of us!